Red Bean Soup From Avery Island
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound dried red kidney beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 pound cooked ground ham
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hard-cooked eggs, sieved
- Lemon slices
- Sauté chopped onion, celery, and garlic in butter in a large Dutch oven until tender. Add next 6 ingredients to Dutch oven; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Strain mixture through a sieve, pressing with the back of a spoon; discard excess pulp. Return soup to Dutch oven; stir in ham. Add salt and pepper, stirring well. Heat thoroughly. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve hot in individual bouillon cups. Garnish with sieved egg and a lemon slice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note