This chili was awesome!!! I love poblanos and like a hearty chili without meat. This fit the bill and was delicious. I made a few minor alterations: 2C broth, chopped white onions, and sharp cheddar. A definite keeper!!
Red Bean and Poblano Chili
Total Antioxidant Capacity: 4,498. Small red beans topped the antioxidant list. If you want to make this chili on the stove instead of in a slow cooker, heat the oil in a Dutch oven and cook the onions, garlic, and spices together first. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until vegetables are tender.
More From Health
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 869mg
- Calcium: 190mg
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and cut into thirds lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can small red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large chopped yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 large vertically sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Flatten poblano pepper with hands. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 4-6 inches from heat 4 minutes or until blackened and charred. Place in a zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes to allow skins to loosen. Peel and discard skins. Coarsely chop poblano pepper.
- 3. Place poblano pepper and next 10 ingredients (through red onion) in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Uncover, and stir in cilantro, tomato paste, and half of green onions.
- 4. To serve, spoon chili into six serving bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note