@Preggygirl, go back to Ding Dongs and Little Debby cakes. This pie is amazing. Rich chocolate pudding with a dark chocolate shell. I used Schlage for the topping, ie Heavy whipping cream with a Tbls of confectioners sugar. This is not on my diet or anyone else's diet. But occasionally you have to feed your soul. My soul is smiling
Rebecca's Black Bottom Icebox Pie
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
With a rich, creamy filling and melt-in-your-mouth crust, this is quite possibly the best chocolate pie ever.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Southern Living
9 Hours, 35 Minutes
- 1 (9-oz.) package chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bars, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Garnish: bittersweet chocolate shavings
- 1. Pulse chocolate wafers in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until finely crushed. Stir together wafer crumbs and butter, and firmly press mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate. Freeze crust 30 minutes.
- 2. Whisk together 2/3 cup sugar and 3 Tbsp. cornstarch in a 3-qt. heavy saucepan.
- 3. Whisk together egg yolks and milk in a small bowl; whisk yolk mixture into sugar mixture in pan, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens. Cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
- 4. Microwave chocolate in a microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk melted chocolate, rum, and vanilla into thickened filling. Spoon filling into prepared crust. Place plastic wrap directly onto filling (to prevent a film from forming), and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 5. Beat whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream, and garnish, if desired.
- Note: We tested with Nabisco FAMOUS Chocolate Wafers and Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts