Real Homemade Tamales
From Allrecipes: "I had been looking for a Tamale recipe for years. One day I went to the international market and stood in the Mexican aisle till a woman with a full cart came by. I just asked her if she knew how to make Tamales. This is her recipe with a few additions from me. The pork can be substituted with either chicken or beef. This is great served with refried beans and a salad." — SADDIECAT
- 2.5 pound(s) chicken breasts
- 2 large onions halved
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 8 dried California chile pods
- 4 cup(s) water
- 3 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 cup(s) masa harina
- 2 can(s) (10.5 ounce) beef broth
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/3 cup(s) lard
- 2 (8 ounce) packages dried corn husks
- 2 cup(s) sour cream
- 1.Place meat into a Dutch oven with onion and garlic, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 2 hours.
- 2.Use rubber gloves to remove stems and seeds from the chile pods. Place chiles in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. Transfer the chiles and water to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture, stir in salt, and set aside. Shred the cooked meat and mix in one cup of the chile sauce.
- 3.Soak the corn husks in a bowl of warm water. In a large bowl, beat the lard with a tablespoon of the broth until fluffy. Combine the masa harina, baking powder and salt; stir into the lard mixture, adding more broth as necessary to form a spongy dough.
- 4.Spread the dough out over the corn husks to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Place one tablespoon of the meat filling into the center. Fold the sides of the husks in toward the center and place in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour.
- 5.Remove tamales from husks and drizzle remaining chile sauce over. Top with sour cream. For a creamy sauce, mix sour cream into the chile sauce.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sarahwilson19 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note