Real Buttermilk Fried Chicken
More From Southern Living
Bake: 2 Hours
- 1 (3 1/2-lb.) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 9 cups shortening
- Garnishes: lemon wedges, fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Add buttermilk; seal and chill 2 hours.
- 2. Remove chicken from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk. Sprinkle chicken with Creole seasoning and next 2 ingredients. Place flour on a large plate or in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- 3. Melt shortening to depth of 11⁄2 inches in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed skillet at least 10 inches wide and 3 inches deep over medium-high heat; heat to 360°. Fry chicken, in batches, turning often, 15 to 20 minutes or until evenly browned and done. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes