I love banana pudding and have always wanted to try making it from scratch. The custard part of this recipe was easy and delicious. Instead of the egg whites on top, I whipped some cream for the topping, and used 3 whole eggs in the custard. The only reason I gave this less than 5 stars was the use of vanilla wafers. With the wonderful homemade custard, bananas, and real whipping cream, the artificial taste of boxed cookies was really noticeable and detracted from the dessert. I wish a could think of a homemade alternative to make this recipe truly "from scratch."
Real Banana Pudding
It’s a simple, from-scratch dessert that often leaves me speechless: homemade vanilla pudding layered with vanilla wafer cookies and banana slices and topped with a cloud of meringue. Some like it warm. Others prefer it like I do: nice and cold. The hardest part is waiting for it to fully chill.
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/3 cups vanilla wafers
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together sugar mixture, milk, and 4 egg yolks in a medium-size heavy saucepan until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- 2. Layer half of vanilla wafers in an 8-inch square baking dish. Top with half of banana slices and half of pudding. Repeat procedure with remaining wafers, banana slices, and pudding.
- 3. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 3 Tbsp. sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of dish.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool 30 minutes, and serve warm; or chill an additional hour, and serve cold.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note