- 6 very small red potatoes (3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 24 baby carrots (about 6 ounces)
- 6 celery stalks, trimmed and quartered
- 1 head Belgian endive (about 1/4 pound), separated into 12 leaves
- 1/2 (1 1/4-pound) fennel bulb, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices and separated into spears
- calories 131
- fat 9.6 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- protein 1.8 g
- carbohydrate 10.7 g
- fiber 2.9 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 0.9 mg
- sodium 136 mg
- calcium 45 mg
How to Make It
Steam potatoes, covered, 10 minutes or until tender. Cut each potato lengthwise into 4 wedges.
While potatoes cook, heat oil and butter in top of a double boiler over medium heat 2 minutes or until butter melts. Add salt, anchovies, and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until anchovies begin to dissolve and garlic is soft and fragrant (garlic should not begin to brown or take on any color). Pour sauce into a warm serving bowl; serve warm with vegetables.
Note: Traditionally, the bagna cauda is served in a bowl set over chafing fuel or a tea light so that the sauce stays warm throughout the appetizer course.