This was really good. I added a lot more cinnamon than called for because it tasted a bit sour. Very easy to put together. Raw was as good as cooked! I used very old, soft, basically inedible apples, which weren't wasted now that I made this recipe!
Raw Spiced Applesauce
Photo: Thomas J. Story; Styling: Dan Becker
Keeping the skin on the apples retains their natural flavonoids; pecans and cinnamon are also antioxidant-rich.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 129
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 2.2g
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 35mg
- Cholesterol: 0.9mg
- 4 Red Delicious apples (about 1 1/4 lbs.), left unpeeled, cored, and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1. Combine apples, zest, juice, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and whirl until smoothly puréed, 3 to 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. (Bits of peel will be visible.)
- 2. Divide among 4 bowls. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt and some pecans.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables