Ravioli with Split Pea Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 714
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 46g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 97g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Sodium: 625mg
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups dried yellow split peas
- 2 packages (9 oz. each) cheese-filled ravioli or tortellini
- 3 dried hot chilies (2 in. long)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive or salad oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 quart baby spinach leaves (about 1/4 lb.), rinsed
- 1/2 cup red cherry tomatoes (about 1 in.), rinsed and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring broth and split peas to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until peas fall apart, about 50 minutes.
- 2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 quarts water to a boil; add ravioli. Stir occasionally until pasta is tender to bite, 4 to 6 minutes; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, transfer split pea mixture to a blender or food processor; whirl until smooth.
- 4. Remove and discard stems from chilies; shake out and discard seeds. Wipe the 3- to 4-quart pan dry. Add chilies, oil, garlic, and cumin; stir over medium-high heat until garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- 5. Pour split pea purée into pan with chili mixture. Add spinach, tomatoes, and turmeric; stir just until steaming.
- 6. Add drained ravioli to sauce and mix gently. Spoon equally into wide bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note