- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups dried yellow split peas
- 2 packages (9 oz. each) cheese-filled ravioli or tortellini
- 3 dried hot chilies (2 in. long)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive or salad oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 quart baby spinach leaves (about 1/4 lb.), rinsed
- 1/2 cup red cherry tomatoes (about 1 in.), rinsed and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- calories 714
- caloriesfromfat 20 %
- protein 46 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 7.5 g
- carbohydrate 97 g
- fiber 8.9 g
- sodium 625 mg
- cholesterol 110 mg
How to Make It
In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring broth and split peas to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until peas fall apart, about 50 minutes.
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 quarts water to a boil; add ravioli. Stir occasionally until pasta is tender to bite, 4 to 6 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, transfer split pea mixture to a blender or food processor; whirl until smooth.
Remove and discard stems from chilies; shake out and discard seeds. Wipe the 3- to 4-quart pan dry. Add chilies, oil, garlic, and cumin; stir over medium-high heat until garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Pour split pea purée into pan with chili mixture. Add spinach, tomatoes, and turmeric; stir just until steaming.
Add drained ravioli to sauce and mix gently. Spoon equally into wide bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.