Raspberry Window Shortbread
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
Time: 45 minutes. Rich, buttery shortbread sandwiches raspberry jam for an easy but elegant cookie.
Yield: Makes 26 sandwiches
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 1.1g
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 4 tbsp. raspberry preserves
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup large sparkle sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Put flour, butter, granulated sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed to blend, then increase to medium and mix until dough is no longer crumbly and just comes together.
- 2. Form dough into a disk and chill 30 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough until 1/8 in. thick. Use a selection of 1 1/2-in. decorative cutters to cut as many shapes as you can, making sure you have an equal number of each shape to form a top and bottom and rerolling scraps as needed. Arrange cookies 1 in. apart on baking sheets. Use a variety of smaller cutters to remove center from half of cookies (the tops). Chill on sheets 15 minutes.
- 3. Bake until light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 4. When cool, spread each whole cookie with about 1/2 tsp. jam. Sprinkle half of cut-out tops evenly with 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Mix remaining 1 cup powdered sugar with milk to thin, then dip tops of remaining cut-out tops with glaze. If you like, dip some glazed tops into sparkle sugar. Set all tops on jam-topped bottoms.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts