Notes: If you serve with whipped cream, another delicious addition is grated semisweet chocolate; sprinkle over servings.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 280
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 7.8g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sodium: 114mg
- Cholesterol: 223mg
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 3/4 cup (2 to 3 oz.) coarsely crushed amaretti or almond macaroons
- 3 cups raspberries, rinsed and drained
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1. Separate egg whites and yolks. Put whites in a large, deep bowl, and yolks in a medium bowl. With a mixer on high speed, whip whites until they hold soft peaks; gradually adding sugar, beat on high speed until whites hold stiff peaks, 3 to 5 minutes total. Scrape whites off beaters but don't wash.
- 2. With mixer on high speed, whip yolks for 1 minute. Add flour and beat on high speed until mixture is very thick, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 3. Put an 8 1/2- to 9-inch-wide (or 7- by 10-in. oval) ovenproof frying pan or shallow metal pan over medium heat; add butter and jam. Heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Turn heat to low and sprinkle about half the cookie crumbs and 1 cup of the berries into pan.
- 4. Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into the yolks, then fold yolk mixture into whites; some streaking is fine.
- 5. Turn heat to medium-high and quickly mound egg mixture in pan. Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs. Cook about 1 minute.
- 6. Set pan in a 350° oven and bake until eggs are tinged with brown and set, but still slightly creamy, in the center (jiggle to test), 15 to 18 minutes (10 to 12 minutes in a convection oven).
- 7. Meanwhile, divide remaining berries equally among wide bowls. Serve souffle immediately, dipping to bottom of pan to spoon sauce and souffle into bowls. Add whipped cream to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This