Raspberry Jelly Roll with Apricot Coulis
You can experiment with many varities of fillings, flavors, and sauces. Try peach jam and strawberry sauce, or lemon curd and orange sauce. While the cake is still warm and flexible, roll it up in a towel and let it cool so it won't resist being rolled a second time.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 68.9g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 146mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) bottle seedless raspberry jam
- 1 (15-ounce) can apricot halves in light syrup, undrained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare cake, coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray, and line with wax paper. Coat paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Beat eggs in a large bowl with a mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Gradually add the granulated sugar, vanilla, rind, and almond extract, beating until thick (about 4 minutes). Sift half of flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in. Repeat procedure with the remaining flour mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Loosen cake from sides of pan; turn out onto a dish towel dusted with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Carefully peel off wax paper; cool 1 minute. Starting at narrow end, roll up the cake and towel together. Place, seam side down, on a wire rack; cool completely (about 1 hour). Unroll carefully; remove towel. Spread jam over cake, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Reroll cake, and place, seam side down, on a platter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Cut into 8 slices.
- To prepare coulis, drain apricots in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon juice. Place the apricots, 1 tablespoon reserved juice, honey, and amaretto in a blender; process until smooth. Serve with cake. Garnish with berries.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note