Surprisingly easy and quite tasty. I followed the creator's recommendation about only doing the almonds and sugar in the food processor; the crust was a perfect consistency. My only complaint was the mascarpone part was very sugary for my tastes. Next time I will reduce the amount of powdered sugar by a third, and then I think it will be 5 stars.
Raspberry Cream Tart
Inspired by a bumper crop of raspberries from her garden, Johnna Hanson created this layered tart of fresh berries, chocolate, and mascarpone cheese on an almond shortbread crust. Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 512
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 262mg
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, pulse almonds and granulated sugar until finely ground, being careful to stop before they turn into nut butter. Add flour and salt and pulse to blend. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. With motor running, add egg, egg yolk, and almond extract and whirl until dough comes together.
- 2. Press dough evenly into the bottom (not the sides) of a 10-in. tart pan with removable rim. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then remove rim.
- 3. In a small frying pan, bring 1 in. of water to boil. Put chocolate in a small metal bowl. Set bowl directly in boiling water, turn off heat, and stir until melted. Stir in 2 tbsp. cream. Spread chocolate on crust and let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat remaining 1/2 cup cream to firm peaks. Beat in mascarpone, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Spread on chocolate-coated crust. Arrange raspberries on top. Serve tart immediately or cover with plastic wrap and chill up to overnight.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note