- Salad oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut halves or large pieces
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 3 quarts (3/4 lb.) butter lettuce, leaf lettuce, or salad mix (1 kind or a combination), rinsed, crisped, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup raspberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (8 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
- calories 211
- caloriesfromfat 64 %
- protein 5.7 g
- fat 15 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 330 mg
- cholesterol 26 mg
How to Make It
Lay a 10- to 12-inch-long sheet of foil on a heatproof surface and rub lightly with oil.
In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, combine sugar and walnuts. Shake and tilt pan often until sugar is melted and amber-colored and until nuts are coated, 4 to 5 minutes total. At once pour walnut candy onto foil. Let candy cool until hard, 12 to 15 minutes. Discard foil; break candy into chunks, put in a heavy plastic food bag, and hit gently with a flat mallet to break into small pieces. If making ahead, store airtight up to 2 days.
In a wide shallow bowl, whisk vinegar with oil, honey, mayonnaise, and pepper.
Add lettuce, onion, raspberries, cheese, and walnut candy. Mix and season to taste with salt.