This is fantastic. I did not have almond paste and did not feel like making it from scratch. I used 11/2 tsp. almond extract and 1/4 cup confectioner sugar to the butter and it came out great. Will be made again and again.
Raspberry-Almond Torte with Chocolate Ganache
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
A torte is a cake enriched with nuts and often layered with jam. Almond paste is a mixture of ground almonds and sugar. Look for it in the baking aisle of most supermarkets.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 torte slice and 1 tablespoon raspberry mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 313
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 52.5g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 149mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray; line bottom with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
- To prepare cake, place butter and almond paste in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until blended. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter; pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Remove parchment paper. Cut cake into 4 (10 x 3 3/4-inch) rectangles.
- To prepare filling, combine juice and raspberry preserves, stirring with a whisk. Add powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Reserve 3/4 cup raspberry mixture. Place 1 cake rectangle on a cake platter; spread with 1/4 cup raspberry mixture, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Repeat procedure with remaining cake and 1/2 cup raspberry mixture, ending with cake.
- To prepare ganache, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cocoa, and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Spread ganache evenly over top and sides of cake; let stand 20 minutes or until set. Serve reserved raspberry mixture with torte.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Raspberry-Almond Torte with Chocolate Ganache Recipe at a Glance