Rangpur Lime Soufflés
Time: 40 minutes. Ethereal, citrus-flavored clouds.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 321
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 8.2g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Cholesterol: 252mg
- 1/4 cup butter, plus more for ramekins
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- Finely shredded zest of 4 Rangpur limes or 2 large tangerines
- 6 tablespoons fresh Rangpur lime juice; or use 1/4 cup fresh regular lime juice plus 2 tbsp. tangerine juice
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Butter 6 ramekins, 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-cup size. Set in a rimmed baking pan.
- 2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, then half-and-half and 1/3 cup sugar. Cook, whisking, until mixture boils; boil 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and whisk in zest and juice until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks.
- 3. In a large bowl of a mixer, beat egg whites on high speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until whites hold straight peaks when beaters are lifted.
- 4. Fold 1/4 of whites into yolk mixture, then fold all of yolk mixture into rest of whites. Spoon into ramekins (they'll be nearly full).
- 5. Bake until soufflés no longer jiggle when gently shaken, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note