I've found serving the serving size misleading. If it is your full breakfast, this serves only three people when using small bowls.
Ranch Breakfast Muesli
Every morning at the breakfast buffet, guests at Rancho La Puerta look forward to this sweet-tart cereal, full of refreshing apples. It's a flexible recipe, delicious with or without nuts and more fruit.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 4.8g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 4.5mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 firm tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1/4 cup toasted or raw sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup*, maple syrup, or mild honey
- 1/4 cup toasted or raw unsweetened shredded coconut, or dried currants
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine oats with 3/4 cup water. Let stand while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- 2. Put lemon juice in another bowl. Peel 1 apple, then cut out 8 very thin slices. Turn slices in lemon juice and lift out; set aside. Peel and coarsely shred remaining apples into lemon juice; mix immediately.
- 3. Stir apples, nuts, syrup, and coconut into oats. Divide among 4 bowls. Serve with yogurt if you like; garnish with apple slices.
- *Agave syrup (also called agave nectar) is a sweetener made from the juice of the agave plant. Find it at well-stocked grocery and natural-food stores.
- Make ahead: In step 1, combine oats with 1 1/2 cups water; chill at least 2 hours and as long as overnight, then drain (oats will be fuller-textured than when short-soaked).
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note