Really fantastic soup! I suggest using Udon noodles. The chewy noodles make it great! But be prepared for this to take some time. The egg was really fantastic but I chose to poach one egg per bowl rather than boil the eggs. Makes great leftovers as well, though I left out the egg for the leftovers.
Ramen Noodle Bowl
The Idea: Move over chicken noodle soup--ramen is the new bowl of comfort. Here, we offer a Japanese-style chicken soup twist, flavored with miso, soy sauce, chile paste, and porcini mushrooms.
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 8 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour, 8 Minutes
- Calories: 449
- Fat: 23.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 28.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 186mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 smoked bacon slice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, cut into thin slices
- 8 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles or ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 (4-ounce) packages gourmet fresh mushrooms
- 6 skin-on, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion strips
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1. Combine 4 cups boiling water and porcini; let stand 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl; reserve porcini and soaking liquid. Slice porcini; set aside.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until almost crisp. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion and carrot; sauté 2 minutes. Combine miso and soy sauce. Add miso mixture, porcini liquid, stock, garlic, and ginger to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Wipe pan clean. Return broth to pan; bring to a boil. Add noodles; cook 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil to pan; swirl. Add fresh mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes. Remove from pan; combine porcini and fresh mushrooms. Add remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil to pan; swirl. Add chicken, skin-side down; sauté 7 minutes or until skin is very crisp and golden brown. Turn chicken over; sauté 2 minutes or until done.
- 4. Place eggs in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let stand 3 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water. Drain and peel.
- 5. Divide noodle mixture among 6 bowls; top each serving with 3 tablespoons mushroom mixture, 2 tablespoons green onions, 1 chicken thigh, 1/2 egg, and 1 teaspoon sambal.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note