- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 smoked bacon slice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, cut into thin slices
- 8 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles or ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 (4-ounce) packages gourmet fresh mushrooms
- 6 skin-on, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion strips
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- calories 449
- fat 23.9 g
- satfat 6.3 g
- monofat 9.8 g
- polyfat 6 g
- protein 30 g
- carbohydrate 28.1 g
- fiber 2.6 g
- cholesterol 186 mg
- iron 2.7 mg
- sodium 654 mg
- calcium 56 mg
How to Make It
Combine 4 cups boiling water and porcini; let stand 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl; reserve porcini and soaking liquid. Slice porcini; set aside.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until almost crisp. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion and carrot; sauté 2 minutes. Combine miso and soy sauce. Add miso mixture, porcini liquid, stock, garlic, and ginger to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Wipe pan clean. Return broth to pan; bring to a boil. Add noodles; cook 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil to pan; swirl. Add fresh mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes. Remove from pan; combine porcini and fresh mushrooms. Add remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil to pan; swirl. Add chicken, skin-side down; sauté 7 minutes or until skin is very crisp and golden brown. Turn chicken over; sauté 2 minutes or until done.
Place eggs in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let stand 3 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water. Drain and peel.
Divide noodle mixture among 6 bowls; top each serving with 3 tablespoons mushroom mixture, 2 tablespoons green onions, 1 chicken thigh, 1/2 egg, and 1 teaspoon sambal.