This is a fabulous recipe - easy and delicious! I also subbed wheat for half the white flour requirement. Next time will add 2 or 3 teaspoons of cinammon. Great toasted the next day - IF there are any leftovers!
Raisin-Honey Milk Bread
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
The fat from the whole milk keeps the bread moist, and its natural sugars (along with the honey) create a golden crust.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 33.3g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 158mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 1 cup warm whole milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup honey, divided
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided (about 15 3/4 ounces)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Combine milk, 1 tablespoon honey, and yeast in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons honey and yolks.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 3 cups flour, raisins, and salt in a large bowl. Add milk mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 75 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Shape dough into a (9 x 4-inch) oval; place dough oval on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 55 minutes or until dough is doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes before slicing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note