- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch sticks
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Italian Croutons:
- 1 loaf day-old bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
How to Make It
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add celery and carrot; cook 5 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until thickened. Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top each serving evenly with Italian Croutons.
Cube bread and place in a large plastic zipping bag; set aside. Combine butter and seasoning; pour over bread. Mix well; arrange bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes; turn bread cubes and bake 5 more minutes.