- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1/2 pound eggplant, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half length-wise, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 jar RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick & Hearty Traditional Sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Italian blend shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
How to Make It
Cook pasta in large pot as directed on package, omitting salt; keep warm.
Place diced eggplant in single layer on a microwave-safe plate lined with a double-layer of paper towels. Microwave on HIGH 3 min. Cool and pat dry.
Heat oil in same pot on medium-high heat; add onions. Cook 3-4 min. or until edges just start to brown, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; add eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and broth. Cook 3 min. while gently scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in sauce, hot pasta, Romano and half of shredded cheese. Cover and cook until heated through. Serve immediately, topped with remaining cheese and fresh chopped basil.
Cremini mushrooms are also often called baby Portobello mushrooms. You can also substitute white button mushrooms. Microwaving the eggplant eliminates the often tedious task of salting and draining it before cooking, without any added salt. For a heartier main dish, add 2 pounds diced cooked chicken with the pasta sauce.