Radicchio and Apples in Pine-nut Vinaigrette
This irresistible combination of apples with bitter radicchio, buttery pine nuts, and a rich, sweet-tart dressing is from Clarklewis, a restaurant in Portland, Oregon. Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 239
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 6.9g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 386mg
- Cholesterol: 9.9mg
- 1/2 cup hard apple cider
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head radicchio, halved, cored, and cut into 1/4-in. strips
- 2 Pinova, Gala, Honeycrisp, or other crisp apples, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup parmesan shavings
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Put cider and honey in a small pan over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to a syrup (about 1 tbsp.), 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2. Put shallot, vinegar, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium bowl and let sit 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, put 1/4 cup pine nuts into a mortar and use pestle to work into a rough paste. Set aside. Stir cider syrup into the shallot-vinegar mixture, then whisk in olive oil. Stir in pine-nut paste to create a creamy dressing and add salt to taste.
- 3. Put radicchio in a large bowl. Drizzle with half of the dressing and toss thoroughly. Toss in apples, adding more dressing if necessary to coat the salad. Divide salad among 6 plates. Top each salad with prosciutto, parmesan, remaining 1/4 cup pine nuts, and pepper, dividing evenly.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note