Made this last night with whole wheat pasta and all I can say is wow, wow, wow! I wouldn't believe that this was a lower fat version if I didn't put the stuff in it myself. This recipe is perfect just the way it is, but because I had some ground turkey on hand, I browned it up with some onion and the garlic in a little basil infused olive oil and added it after the cheese layers. Used low fat jarred marinara and it came out looking and tasting like a restaurant quality lasagna. Even better and firmer today for lunch. This recipe really is a keeper, and I wouldn't hesitate to make it for company. My new favorite lasagna recipe - bar none!
Rachel's Special Occasion Lasagna
You can make this dish ahead--just cover and refrigerate or freeze after you've spread the final layer of marinara sauce. Serve with a salad and breadsticks to round out the meal.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 284
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 34.2g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 657mg
- Calcium: 179mg
- 1 (8-ounce) package uncooked lasagna noodles (about 9 noodles)
- 1 1/3 cups (6 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup (6 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free pasta sauce, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, and ricotta cheese in a large bowl; stir to blend well. Stir in Parmesan and next 8 ingredients (through egg).
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over pasta sauce; top with half of cheese mixture and one third of remaining pasta sauce. Repeat layers once, ending with noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella; bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes