Super good. I used reduced sodium chicken broth. I would not add that 1/4 tsp salt next time (i prefer dishes less salty.) I would also add a bit more spinach leaves. Other than those issues, I thought it was great. Oh, and I LOVE garlic so the amount this recipe calls for is perfect. And, you MUST ROAST IT. Roasted garlic makes everything better. Thanks!
Quinoa with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes, and Spinach
"Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain. The tiny, beige-colored seeds have a nice crunch. It's cooked and eaten like rice and other grains. Be sure to give it a good rinse before cooking, or it may have a bitter taste." —Mary Ellen Smith, Doylestown, Pa.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 16.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 305mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Remove papery skin from garlic head. Cut garlic head in half crosswise, breaking apart to separate whole cloves. Wrap half of head in foil; reserve remaining garlic for another use. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- 3. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and red pepper to pan; cook 1 minute. Add quinoa to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in garlic pulp, spinach, tomato, cheese, and salt. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note