- 2 crisp apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup red or white quinoa, rinsed well
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- Large lettuce leaves, for serving
- calories 286
- fat 13 g
- satfat 2 g
- protein 6 g
- carbohydrate 40 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- sodium 426 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss apples with lemon juice.
Mix quinoa, 1/4 tsp. salt and 2 cups cold water in a pan. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until most of water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then turn out onto a baking sheet to cool for at least 10 minutes.
Spread almonds on a baking sheet. Toast until golden, 7 to 10 minutes, shaking pan once. Transfer to a plate to cool. In a bowl, whisk vinegar and mustard. Gradually add olive oil, whisking, until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
Drain apples, if necessary, and add to bowl. Add quinoa, almonds, cranberries and scallions. Gently toss; season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve salad on lettuce leaves.