This might have received 5 stars but the prep instructions get a few demerits. Pre-cooking the garlic and cilantro only removed flavor and seemed unnecessary given that the entire mixture was to be cooked again. I "mashed" the potato in a food processor and pulsed in the rest of the ingredients except the quinoa and cheese (almost forgot) adding the potato mixture to the quinoa and stirring by hand. I omitted the jalapeno and used jack instead of cheddar as this was all I had. I had to use more than 4 tsp. oil, and the patties needed several minutes on each side to cook. I did end up with 13 generously-sized patties, however. I served this with Kidney Bean, Corn and Pomegranate Salad. I would make these again but next time use cheddar and throw everything (but the quinoa - not enough room) into the food processor.
Quinoa and Potato Croquettes
Photo: Karry Hosford
These meatless quinoa and potato croquettes are delicious served with coleslaw and topped with dollops of salsa and sour cream. If you can't find panko, use fresh breadcrumbs instead.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 croquettes)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 346
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 53.6g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 450mg
- Calcium: 85mg
- 1 (10-ounce) baking potato
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 3 tablespoons grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Pierce potato with a fork; place on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at high 5 minutes or until fork pierces potato easily, turning potato after 3 minutes. Wrap in a towel; let stand 5 minutes. Peel and mash potato.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; add quinoa and salt. Cook 15 minutes; drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, cilantro, and jalapeño; sauté 1 minute. Add cumin, oregano, black pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Combine potato, quinoa, onion mixture, cottage cheese, and cheddar cheese in a bowl, stirring well. Let stand 5 minutes; stir in egg.
- Shape potato mixture into 10 patties. Carefully dredge each patty in panko. Place on a baking sheet. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 5 patties to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This