I love this recipe...it is my go-to side for BBQs and whenever I'm meant to bring a salad or dish somewhere. Honestly, I am asked for the recipe every time! I do skip roasting the red pepper and I use the jarred kind. I also eliminate the extra water in cooking the quinoa and use half water, half OJ. Makers the recipe a snap to prepare.
Quinoa and Pistachio Salad with Moroccan Pesto
Quinoa [KEEN-wah] is a quick-cooking whole grain supplying protein, iron, and vitamin E. Pair this side dish with simple grilled chicken or fish. For a vegetarian entrée option, use organic vegetable broth and add one (15 1/2-ounce) can of rinsed, drained chickpeas to ramp up the protein.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 28.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 318mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 12 oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut red bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel and chop.
- 3. Place quinoa, broth, 1/2 cup water, and juice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 4. Place cilantro and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine bell pepper, quinoa mixture, cilantro mixture, and olives in a large bowl. Sprinkle with nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note