1. Stir together yeast, 1/4 cup warm water, and 1 tsp. sugar in a 2-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
2. Beat 2 Tbsp. sugar, softened butter, and salt at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add egg, milk, and yeast mixture, beating until blended. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until smooth. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (2 to 3 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
3. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat oven to 400°. Punch dough down; turn dough out onto a floured surface. Divide dough into 24 pieces; shape into balls. Place in 2 greased 9-inch square pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 15 minutes.
5. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden. Brush tops with melted butter, and serve immediately.