This chili turned out runny and had too much beer flavour for my liking. The next time I would make it, I would use crushed tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes for thickness and cut the beer down to half a cup or leave it out. I also made adjustments to it like adding some green pepper, an extra can of black beans and a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder for depth. It is nice with corn bread on the side.
Quick Turkey Chili
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
More From Southern Living
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup beer*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Garnish: sour cream
- 1. Sauté chopped onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- 2. Add turkey, chili powder, and cumin, and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Garnish, if desired.
- *Chicken broth may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This