Quick-Soak Black-eyed Peas
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours
- 1 (16-oz.) package dried black-eyed peas
- 2 ounces salt pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- Garnishes: chopped green onions, cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1. Place peas in a Dutch oven; cover with cold water 2 inches above peas. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain peas, and rinse thoroughly.
- 2. Bring salt pork and 1 qt. water to a boil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes. Add peas, onion, next 2 ingredients, water to cover, and, if desired, jalapeño pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until peas are tender and liquid thickens slightly. (Uncover after 1 hour to allow liquid to evaporate, if necessary.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables