I made this for my family tonight. I didn't use prechopped veggies I just cut them up on my own but for such small quantities it really wasn't that time consuming. I made this with shrimp that was peeled and deveined and thawed the shrimp while I was chopping veggies and heating up the broth. I substituted low fat milk with about 1tbs corn starch because I did not have any cream. I did sautéed the shrimp in a little oil and garlic before adding to the soup and added 1 cup frozen corn and a dash of hot sauce and a little more broth so it was more of a soup. Everyone in the family liked it (2kids + husband) and it was quick. I served it with a side salad and bread rolls. I will make this again!
Quick Shrimp Chowder
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 258
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 24.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 200mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 478mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup prechopped carrot
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1/4 cup prechopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Pour broth into a 2-cup glass measure. Microwave at MEDIUM-HIGH 1 minute.
- 2. Combine broth, thyme, and black pepper in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and simmer.
- 3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrot, onion, and celery; sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add flour, stirring with a whisk. Stir carrot mixture and shrimp into broth mixture; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in cream; cover and simmer 4 minutes.
- Sustainable Choice: Be sure to buy U.S. wild-caught or farmed shrimp for the best sustainable option.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes