We loved it, but then I rarely make a recipe exactly as written. I used tomatoes with chilies and didn't drain. I had half and half on hand so used that but only about a cup or less. I only had a 3 oz package of cream cheese on hand so used that and omitted the mozzarella.
Photo: John Autry
More From Cooking Light
Total: 40 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 431
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 27.8g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 679mg
- Calcium: 289mg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 (3-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove beef from pan; drain. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beef; sprinkle with salt. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in milk, tomatoes, and cream cheeses, stirring until smooth; bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in pasta.
- 4. Spoon pasta mixture into a 13 x 9-inch broiler-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over top. Broil 4 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note