I make this in the summer almost every other week because the ingredients are usually readily available and very fresh - it's so refreshing and has a great flavor with the vinegar. Definitely make it with all the veggies, but I usually leave the chicken on the side as a grilled dish (and also grill corn along with it to finish out the meal). The panzanella will keep in a sealed container for about 2 days in the fridge, so you can use it as double duty for a salad dish the next night too. Only use cibatta bread as you don't want a soggy result - to save time check with your local bakery dept to ask them to cut the bread into cubes (they just have to run it through the slicer twice opposite ways) and bag up the cubes for you. Otherwise, if you are fairly "okay" on your knife skills, chopping & tossing this salad is only ~20 minutes (exactly enough time to grill your chicken breasts & sweet summer corn on the cob) - enjoy!
Quick Panzanella with Chicken
A skinless chicken breast half is a protein powerhouse; a serving of this salad offers almost 44 grams of protein (about a day's worth). Plus, poultry offers B vitamins, zinc, iron, and vitamin B12.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 385
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 43.5g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 757mg
- Calcium: 50mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed tomato
- 2 cups diced ciabatta bread (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery (2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat, and chop.
- 2. Place tomato in a large bowl; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add chicken, bread, and the remaining ingredients to tomato mixture, tossing well to combine. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This