Quick Individual Baked Alaskas
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 4 single-serving dessert sponge cakes
- 4 scoops strawberry ice cream
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons chopped toasted nuts or shredded coconut (optional)
- Sweetened sliced fruit or your favorite ice cream topping (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Flatten four paper baking cups and place in a shallow baking pan. Center one single-serving dessert sponge cake (the type sold for making individual strawberry shortcakes) on each paper circle. Place a generous scoop of strawberry ice cream on each cake. Freeze at least 30 minutes; wrap airtight if freezing longer than a few hours.
- 2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat 4 egg whites with 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form. Spread meringue evenly over each cake and ice cream, sealing meringue to paper. Sprinkle evenly with about 1 tablespoon chopped toasted nuts or shredded coconut, if desired.
- 3. Bake until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to plates and serve immediately with sweetened sliced fruit or your favorite ice cream topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings