Well I finally got around to doing this recipe from November 2009. I decided to try and can up these pickles. I had to make a few adaptations to fit what was on hand but the recipe sounded intriguing. I made the pickles using lemon cucumbers because that's what was in the garden. No limes so I used lemons for the juice. I considerably reduced the salt, too, by 2/3rds. The recipe made enough brine to do 3 pints. The pickles are great on sandwiches! Very spicy!
Quick Indian Pickles
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 13
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 0.3g
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 2.7g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom pods, split
- 2 small dried hot red chiles, broken in half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 1 piece (1 in.) fresh ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 Persian cucumbers, each cut into 4 spears, or 2 English cucumbers, each cut into thirds crosswise and then into 4 spears
- 1. Warm oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop, about 2 minutes. All at once, add remaining spices except for turmeric and cook, stirring, until spices are very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add turmeric and stir just until sizzling. Carefully add 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pack cucumber spears into a deep bowl. Pour pickling liquid over them, weight with a small plate to keep submerged, and let cool to room temperature, about 40 minutes. Lift pickles out of brine to serve.
- Make ahead: Chill, covered, up to 2 days (pickles will get more flavorful).
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per spear.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This