- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom pods, split
- 2 small dried hot red chiles, broken in half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 1 piece (1 in.) fresh ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 Persian cucumbers, each cut into 4 spears, or 2 English cucumbers, each cut into thirds crosswise and then into 4 spears
- calories 13
- caloriesfromfat 12 %
- protein 0.3 g
- fat 0.2 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- carbohydrate 2.7 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- sodium 181 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Warm oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop, about 2 minutes. All at once, add remaining spices except for turmeric and cook, stirring, until spices are very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add turmeric and stir just until sizzling. Carefully add 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
Pack cucumber spears into a deep bowl. Pour pickling liquid over them, weight with a small plate to keep submerged, and let cool to room temperature, about 40 minutes. Lift pickles out of brine to serve.
Make ahead: Chill, covered, up to 2 days (pickles will get more flavorful).
Note: Nutritional analysis is per spear.