We thought this was good, especially for the shorter cooking time. However, there are other CL baked bean recipes that are better. I would make it again but only if time was a factor.
Quick Classic Baked Beans
Our baked beans are cooked mostly on the stovetop and then briefly broiled for crusty edges. If you want extra herby flavor, garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 31 Minutes
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 28.7g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 296mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 6 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 (15-ounce) cans organic navy beans, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can unsalted tomato sauce
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook bacon in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings. Add onion and thyme sprigs to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Discard thyme.
- 3. Remove from heat; stir in bacon. Broil 4 minutes or until bubbly and edges are crusty.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note