Quick Chicken Potpie
Suggested by Sunset Facebook fan Melinda Velayo.
Everyone loves chicken potpie, but it takes 2 hours to make. We've traded from-scratch pie dough for homemade croutons, creating a great potpie in half the time.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 671
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 49g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 741mg
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 ounces shredded emmenthal cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 4-qt. pot over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add peas; set aside.
- 2. Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil to pot. Add flour and whisk until dry and crumbly, about 30 seconds. Pour in milk 1/4 cup at a time, whisking well after each addition until smooth and creamy (mixture will be paste-like at first). Add reserved vegetables, salt, pepper, and chicken to milk mixture, stirring gently to combine. Spoon mixture into a large gratin dish (about 2 1/2 qts.) or ovenproof frying pan. Sprinkle with tarragon.
- 3. Mix bread and butter together in a large bowl, tossing well to coat. Top chicken mixture with bread. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until browned and starting to bubble around the sides, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note