1. Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to make 4 roughly equal portions. Place between pieces of plastic and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4" thickness. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Combine breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler to high.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the rest of the chicken. Transfer chicken to the plate.
4. Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour in the crushed tomatoes; add Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Turn to coat with the sauce.
5. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of cheese over each piece of chicken, then top with the reserved breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Serve the chicken with the sauce, sprinkled with basil or parsley.
CALORIES: 386 FAT: 19g (SAT:5g, MONO:10g) CHOL:78mg CARB: 20g
PROTEIN: 34g FIBER: 4g SODIUM: 708mg
Go to full version of