Quick Chicken Parmesan from Eating Well
Ooey-gooey cheese, crispy bread crumbs and plenty of sauce are the hallmarks of any good chicken parm, and this one is no exception. We made this version easier by skipping the breading of the chicken and loading the top of this one-skillet supper with cheese and breadcrumbs. Serve with whole-wheat pasta to soak up the extra sauce.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 (8oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1/2 cup(s) coarse, dry breadcrumbs preferably whole wheat
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 (28oz) can(s) no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1. Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to make 4 roughly equal portions. Place between pieces of plastic and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4" thickness. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Combine breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl; set aside.
- 2. Position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler to high.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the rest of the chicken. Transfer chicken to the plate.
- 4. Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour in the crushed tomatoes; add Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Turn to coat with the sauce.
- 5. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of cheese over each piece of chicken, then top with the reserved breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Serve the chicken with the sauce, sprinkled with basil or parsley.
- CALORIES: 386 FAT: 19g (SAT:5g, MONO:10g) CHOL:78mg CARB: 20g
- PROTEIN: 34g FIBER: 4g SODIUM: 708mg
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Quick Chicken Parmesan from Eating Well Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes