Excellent. A real keeper. Only deviation from the recipe was the use of crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (didn't have purée at last minute). Used a portable electric grill.
Quick Chicken Mole
A traditional Mexican mole sauce takes hours, but we tinkered with it and came up with a version that achieves similarly deep flavors in a fraction of the time.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 226
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 8.1g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 318mg
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico chile powder* (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 pounds boned, skinned chicken thighs
- 1/2 to 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- 1. Heat a grill to high (450° to 550°). Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in spices, sesame seeds, and almonds and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato purée, broth, and chocolate chips.
- 2. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until flavors develop and sauce thickens and darkens slightly, about 10 minutes. Purée in a blender with 1/2 cup water until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- 3. Pour 1 cup mole sauce over chicken in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
- 4. Grill chicken, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Set chicken on a serving plate and sprinkle with minced chile and cilantro leaves. Serve with remaining mole sauce and lime wedges.
- *Fruity, mild New Mexico chile powder is available at well-stocked grocery stores and Latino markets, but if you can't find it, you can leave it out and still have a flavorful dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note