This cake is awesome, but the caramel frosting should only be brought to a roiling boil for about a minute, then add the heavy cream. Mine got too sugary, so I had to make more Cream Cheese Frosting and use it instead. The cake itself was fantastic. Can't wait to try it again.
Quick Caramel Frosting
Like the classic caramel frosting, this one hardens quickly, so cool the cake layers before you start to make it.
This recipe goes with Caramel Italian Cream Cake
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a rolling boil in a 3 1/2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly (about 7 minutes).
- 2. Stir in cream, and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour into bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium speed, using whisk attachment; beat 8 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Use immediately.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Don't panic if you overbeat the frosting. Thin to a spreadable consistency by adding 1 to 2 tsp. hot water.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note