This cake is awesome, but the caramel frosting should only be brought to a roiling boil for about a minute, then add the heavy cream. Mine got too sugary, so I had to make more Cream Cheese Frosting and use it instead. The cake itself was fantastic. Can't wait to try it again.
Quick Caramel Frosting
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a rolling boil in a 3 1/2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly (about 7 minutes).
- 2. Stir in cream, and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour into bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium speed, using whisk attachment; beat 8 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Use immediately.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Don't panic if you overbeat the frosting. Thin to a spreadable consistency by adding 1 to 2 tsp. hot water.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note