Quick Broth or Soup
"Soups to Savor: Beans add nutrients and healthy, filler fiber ... and they're cheap" by Michael Hastings. Beans: lentils, pintos, black, kidney, cannellini, etc. One-hour broth make with ground meat: a good compromise between true, homemade stock and store-bought. If desired, replace a quart of the water with store-bought chicken broth, omit the salt and reduce the simmering time to about 30 minutes. Use this recipe for the Meatball and White-Bean Soup. Winston-Salem Journal: January 16, 2013.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalk(s) celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 8 ounce(s) mushrooms, chopped (optional) or 1/4 ounce well-rinsed dried mushrooms (such as porcini)
- 1 pound(s) lean ground beef, chicken or pork, or a combination
- 9 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch(s) thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
- 1. Place meat and vegetables in a soup pot over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Add remaining ingredients, including 1 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil.
- 3. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Taste and add more salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce if desired. Serve the soup as is or to make a broth strain through a sieve. If making ahead, refrigerate overnight, then scrape off any fat that solidifies on the surface.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note