I was even able to partially make this recipe ahead of time for a quicker evening. Cooked the beef, removed to a bowl, cooked the onion and mushrooms (with indicated seasonings), deglazed with brandy (yes, total deviation), then removed that to the same bowl as the meat. That was refrigerated until needed. Returned the meat and mushroom mixture back to a pan to heat while I continued with the recipe. If you want a thicker sauce just omit the 1/2 cup of water called for. If wanting to make without the heat from the hot paprika, then substitute sweet paprika and add couple dashes of smoked paprika. I served this with rice for the kids and sauteed zoodles for me.
Quick Beef Stroganoff
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 31.9g
- Carbohydrate: 31.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 457mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 6 1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 (6-ounce) package presliced exotic mushroom blend
- 1 cup lower-sodium beef broth, divided
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles; cook 5 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- 2. Cut beef across the grain into 1/4-inch-wide strips; cut strips into 2-inch pieces.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove beef from pan. Add 1 cup onion, black pepper, salt, paprika, and mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium.
- 4. Combine 1/4 cup beef broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture, beef, remaining 3/4 cup broth, and remaining 1/2 cup water to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cover and cook 8 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, green onions, and butter. Serve beef mixture over egg noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note