- 2 pounds beef petite tender steak (aka shoulder tender), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 5 (4.5-oz.) cans chopped green chiles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons plain yellow cornmeal
- Toppings: green onions, fried onion rings, sour cream, Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Sprinkle beef with desired amount of salt and pepper. Cook beef in hot oil in a large, enamel cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer beef to a platter.
Add onion to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
Add chiles, next 2 ingredients, beef, and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with desired toppings.