Excellent and simple. Went with these for Thanksgiving instead of traditional apple pie. Served with hot buttered rum...the perfect finish!
Quick Apple Dumplings
Stuff refrigerated pie crusts with slices of apples, spices, and sugar to make fancy-looking apple dumplings that are actually quite simple to prepare.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 (15-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts
- 8 medium Braeburn apples, peeled and cored*
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut up
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Bring 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup butter. Set syrup aside.
- Combine 2/3 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Cut piecrusts in half, and roll into 8-inch circles. Place 1 apple in center of each circle. Sprinkle each evenly with sugar mixture; dot evenly with 3 tablespoons butter.
- Fold dough over apples, pinching to seal. Place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Drizzle with syrup.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- *Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts