- 1 (2-lb.) skinned, boned, and shredded deli-roasted chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican-style chili powder*
- 3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled lime-flavored white corn tortilla chips
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla chips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*1 tsp. chili powder and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper may be substituted for Mexican-style chili powder.