Great recipe! I made a couple of changes though. I used skim milk instead, and cut it slightly, to about a cup. I also added in some ham and spinach. My boyfriend went nuts for it. Thank you for sharing this ☺
This breakfast option is fluffy, salty, cheesy, and will make you think you are in France. Using a gluten-free pie shell will also yield outstanding results. Serve this for breakfast or for brunch with a mixed greens salad.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 292
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 510mg
- Calcium: 239mg
- 1 unbaked frozen 9-inch deep-dish pastry shell
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup halved and thinly sliced onion
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 3 ounces grated Gruyère cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Pierce bottom and sides of pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Increase oven temperature to 450°.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan; let cool.
- 4. Sprinkle onion, bacon, and cheese into pastry shell. Combine eggs and egg whites in a bowl, beating with a whisk. Add milk and remaining ingredients, beating with a whisk.
- 5. Pour milk mixture over cheese mixture in pastry shell. Place quiche on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes, shielding edges after 15 minutes, if necessary, to prevent excess browning. Let cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Cut into wedges, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note